For maximum comfort and pumping efficiency, Medela offers five breast shield sizes. This guide is a starting point to help determine your optimal size.
Reasons to try a new size
- Does your nipple rub the tunnel sides to the point of causing discomfort?
- Do you see excessive areola being pulled into the tunnel?
- Do you see any redness?
- Is your nipple or areola turning white?
- Do you feel unexpressed milk after breast milk pumping?
If you answered “YES” to any of these questions, consider trying a new size by following the measuring instructions below.
If you are still unsure that you selected the right breast shield size, contact a lactation consultant or breastfeeding specialist.
Understanding Medela’s PersonalFit sizing
Using a ruler or measuring tape measure the diameter of your nipple at base (across middle) in millimeters (mm). Do not include areola.
Based on your breast measurement, determine your PersonalFit nipple shield size. Example: If your nipple size measures 17 mm in diameter, the recommended PersonalFit breast shield size is
Test your breast shield size
- Start with the 24 mm that came with your pump, or the size determined by measuring.
- Center the nipple and gently hold the breast shield against your breast.
- Adjust for Maximum Comfort VacuumTM to achieve optimum suction level.
- Refer to the images below while pumping in the expression phase (after the stimulation phase).